Sunday, August 20, 2006

Housefrau’s Packing Tips: I Have None

Moving day is a week from tomorrow. The nice thing about packing is that I don’t have to clean anything. The bad thing about packing is that I have to pack.

Some ruminations on the nature of owning things seem in order, but my heart’s not in it. Perhaps the unpacking process will produce an insightful musing on the complex relationship we have to our things, how owning something is also a way of being owned, how the domestic realm both shackles us to our couch cushions and at the same time offers the freedom of eating off frisbees.

But for now, packing is just packing. The only way I’ll ever get all this stuff in boxes is if I simply accept the inevitability of owning five different types of spoons and choose not to worry too much about whether it’s appropriate to label a box “kitchen stuff” if it also contains shoes.

Maybe next time I do this I’ll be organized. This time around, I’m just glad I saved the boxes for the marionettes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You all packed yet?

6:39 PM  
Blogger Housefrau said...

Yes! I am all packed!

Unfortunately, I am not all UNpacked. It's much easier to clean in the new house when everything I own is still in boxes.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?