Friday, July 21, 2006

Housefrau’s Recipe Box: Some Sort of Sandwich!

Time for recipe-swapping! After all my moaning about the concept of dinner, I went and cooked one after all, and it was tasty.

This recipe starts last night. The LP was having trouble sleeping, and I was none too drowsy myself, so I decided to list all the possible things that would be good on a sandwich. I got quite a long way into my Dagwoodian dream when I had a sudden inspiration for a simple yet delicious dish.

Housefrau’s Made-Up While Drifting Off to Sleep
Sandwich

Ingredients:
Whole wheat buns
Some chicken breasts
Some almond butter
1 apple
1 onion
Some ghee or olive oil

Directions:
First, broil some chicken breast. I’d tell you how to do that, but I am frightened of raw meat, so the LP handles that part. So, I dunno, look in a cookbook, probably.

While that happens, caramelize the onion. I’ll tell you how I did it, but you might want to get a second opinion, as, although caramelization did seem to happen, burning happened more, so maybe my method is flawed. At any rate: put about 3 Tbsp. ghee or olive oil in a pan and make it hot. I turned the number-dealie to 4, if that helps. Slice up the onion and put it in there. Then leave it there and stir sometimes. Try to turn off the heat before the mess is utterly charred—20 minutes or so, but probably less.

After all that’s done, slice the apple into thin-ish slices and toast the buns in that greatest of devices, the toaster oven. Spread a bunch of almond butter on the buns, slice the chicken, and layer chicken, apples, and caramelized onions on the buns.

Eat.

I was pretty sure this would turn out to be one of those things that I think is going to be some sort of wild taste adventure, and then it is, but less of a watching-Indiana-Jones experience and more of an actually-going-throug-the-awful-things-that-happen-in-an-Indiana-Jones-movie experience. But, lo and behold, they were gooooood. I imagine endless variations could be created.

Had I known they would be worth sharing, I’d have taken photos of the whole thing. Instead, all I have to show you is proof positive that these things were fucking tasty:


By the way, the plate is a Sherry Olsen, who is both a terrific ceramics artist and a very nice lady. Go. Buy. Now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sean Perkey said...

Hey there. I got your email and wrote you back!

That sandwich sounds like yum on a plate! I've always loved putting apples on a sandwich. Just the right amount of crisp and sweet to compliment the meat!

Also, If I'm not prying...where does the phobia of raw meat come from?

;0)

11:39 PM  
Blogger Q said...

Yummmmm,
I love the apple and the almond butter! This will be on our plates. No chickens at our house. The caramelized onion also sounds yummmmm.
Mom

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy sandwich!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... wow... wow... simply delectable! And you've got proof. lol

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?